During winter, it seems like one’s batteries run down quite a bit quicker than they do on a warm summer’s day. This is certainly true in my kitchen where I try to focus on hearty meals that I can prepare and then serve on more than one occasion. Certainly, stews and soups can be refrigerated, so one can often can more than one meal with a little forward planning.
I recently came across this appealing recipe on Pinterest. The photograph, shown below, caught my eye and I decided to give this Paleo Mediterranean skillet chicken a go. While it may be a bit heavy and elaborate for a summer meal, it hit the spot for a chilly evening at home and my husband and I can enjoy the leftovers another day. The spinach leaves gave this hearty winter recipe a lively bit of color.
The recipe comes from a lovely website called Paleo Newbie, so if you are into Paleo diets, you may want to give it a go. I can certainly recommend this particular dish – love the artichokes.
Ingredients (Serves 2 – 4)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz jarred artichoke hearts, liquid drained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 lb cooked organic chicken
- Fresh spinach – a couple of handfuls
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil or ghee (1-2 tablespoons to sauté the veggies, another tablespoon for cooking)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (Gourmet Living, of course!)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the chopped onions for 3-4 minutes
- Add the minced garlic and sauté together one more minute
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the sautéed onions and garlic and cook 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms are golden. Add salt and pepper to taste while cooking
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the pan then toss in the Roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives. Sprinkle in the parsley, oregano, and stir a few minutes
- Next add the chopped chicken and spinach to the pan – stir and cook 1-2 minutes, or until chicken is heated through. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot garnished with the fresh basil