To make a long story short, my husband and I set out on we believed to be a relatively short “road trip.” We are now sheltering-in-place in Charleston, South Carolina. We consider ourselves lucky to be “quarantined” in such a beautiful town but didn’t realize how much I miss my freedom until deprived.
While in Raleigh, North Carolina, we visited Jubala Coffee for one of their signature breakfast dishes: Avocado toast with feta cheese and pickled onions. It was delicious. I have tried to recreate this recipe with this simple version below:
Avocado Toast with Feta Cheese and Pickled Onions
- 1 Avocado (Ripe)
- 1 Tablespoon Feta
- 2 slices Grained Bread (toasted)
- Garnish with pickled Red Onion (see below)
Pickled Red Onion (or purchase)
- 1 Red Onion (sliced)
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Salt and Sugar
- Toast bread and spread half of avocado on one slice of toast
- Crumble a teaspoon or so of feta over avocado
- Garnish with pickled red onions
Pickled Red Onion
- Slice a medium size red onion.
- Add sliced onion to a bowl with a cup of warm water and a cup of apple cider and vinegar. Add a little sugar and salt and allow to sit a few hours.
- Refrigerated, the pickled onions will last about three weeks.
Nutrition per Serving
Avocados are now considered one of the super foods with plenty of Vitamin C and K and Folates. When selecting avocados they should be slightly soft to the touch when ripe.