I continue to explore ways to use Gourmet Living’s extra virgin California olive oil. Leafing through the Summer 2016 Catalog from King Arthur Flour, I came across this delightful recipe for Olive Oil Bundt Cake.
In the next couple of weeks, I will be attending a four-day baking course at King Arthur. If you are a baker, or aspiring baker, their products are second to none. This cake is as good as it gets. The only minor modification I did was to triple the amount of almond extract. Both my husband and I prefer a more pronounced almond flavor in our cake. Naturally, we used our superb California extra virgin olive oil which is made from the Picual olive.
California Olive Oil Bundt Cake
Yield 12 servings
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) of sugar
- 2/3 cup (4 5/8 ounces) of Gourmet Living's California Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 tsp of almond extract (Note: The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp - but we like a more pronounced almond taste)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (2 5/8 ounces) almond flour
- 1 3/4 cups (7 1/4 ounces King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease a 10- 12-cup Bundt Pan
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until very light and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Add Gourmet Living's extra virgin California olive oil and extracts and beat until incorporated
- In a separate bowl combine the flours, salt and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, and the edges pull away from the pan
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a rack to cook. Turn it out of the pan onto a rack after about 10 minutes to cool completely.
If you like this olive oil recipe, you will discover more great recipes and food tips on the Gourmet Living blog.