My husband has a nasty cold, so I decided to prepare my world-famous “Get Better Soup.” Actually, it is not my “Get Better Soup,” This winter soup recipe was published in the New York Times some time ago by Marian Burros.
You are looking at between 8 to 20 garlic cloves so please make sure you stay well downwind of your sick patient. Actually, cooked garlic doesn’t smell all that bad. This soup is guaranteed to give you a sharp kick in the backside to help speed your recovery.
Get Better Soup
- 6 cups rich turkey or chicken stock
- 2 HEADS of garlic cloves separated and peeled
- 4 to 6 small fresh jalapenos seeded and coarsely chopped, or less if desired
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pepper Jack cheese
- Combine the stock, garlic, jalapenos and herbs in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the garlic is very soft, about 30 minutes
- Transfer to a blender, and puree until smooth. Season with salt, and serve in mugs, garnished with the Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pepper Jack cheese if you are up to it.