The talented chefs at Cook’s Illustrated have come up with a delightful variation of the Italian Chocolate-Almond cake or “
While there are hundreds of variations of this tasty recipe, the folks at Cook’s Illustrated have discovered that whipping whole eggs separately in two parts (i.e. the white and the yolk) allows you to create an airy and sturdy cake. This is certainly a major upgrade to cakes that are either
Traditionally, Italians will serve whipped cream (with an amaretto or orange flavoring). Vanilla ice cream works just as well.
Chocolate-Almond Italian Cake
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided (7 ounces)
- 2 cups almond flour (7 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder Dutch-processed
- confectioners’ sugar optional, but recommended
Amaretto Whipped Cream (or Cointreau)
- 1 cup heavy cream chilled
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto Cointreau or Grand Marnier substitute
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest if using Cointreau
For the Chocolate-Almond Cake
- Microwave butter and chocolate in a medium bowl at 50% power, stirring often until melted, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Using a mixer, whip egg whites until foamy (about 1 minute). Continue to whip at a slightly higher speed and add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until whites are glossy and thick and hold stiff peaks, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer whites to a large bowl.
- Add egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to the now empty mixer bowl and whip on medium-high speed until the yolks are a thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl if necessary. Add chocolate mixture and mix until incorporated, about 15 seconds. Add almond flour, cocoa, and salt and mix until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir a few times with a rubber spatula to ensure that almond flour is fully incorporated. Add 1/3 of whipped whites to bowl. Return bowl to mixer and mix on medium speed until no streaks of white remain, about 30 seconds. Transfer batter to bowl with remaining egg whites and gently fold whites into batter until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth top with a spatula and place pan on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes ROTATING PAN HALFWAY THROUGH COOKING. Allow cake to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove side of the pan and let the cake cool completely about 2 hours.
- Dust top with confectioners sugar.
Amaretto Whipped Cream
- Using the stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip cream, Amaretto and sugar on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes.