I subscribe to Jane Butel’s newsletter and recently received a wonderful recipe for Blue Haven Chili, which Jane will showcase at a March 2018 cooking classes at her Corrales kitchen in New Mexico. If you are looking for authentic ingredients, make sure you visit Pecos Valley Spice Co, which has a number of authentic products that are difficult to find in the northeast.
Jane Butel and I crossed paths many years ago in New York City and I still frequently consult one of her earliest cookbooks when I am looking for a southwest or Tex Mex fix. Jane never fails to disappoint. She is a fabulous cook and uses chilis and other spices most effectively in her cooking.
This chili recipe uses chicken and Jane has added blue cheese or gorgonzola to give this chili an elevated taste profile that is quite distinct from the Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese that is traditionally used in chili.
Blue Heaven Chili
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large whole boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ½ inch dice (2 to 2 ½ cups)
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 4 to 6 fresh green chiles parched peeled, and coarsely chopped, or 1 cup canned or frozen chopped green chiles
- 1 medium russet potato un-peeled, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese blue cheese, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or stilton will work well
- Melt the bacon drippings in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chicken and cook, stirring, until the chicken begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, green chiles, and potato to the pot. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes can be pierced with a fork, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasonings as needed, adding salt to taste (many chicken broths and bouillons are so loaded with salt that none is needed). Spoon the chili into individual bowls, and scatter the blue cheese over the top of each serving.
For those looking for other chili recipes, please find links to other recipes featured on Gourmet Living