I recently had a delicious soup lemon artichoke soup that comes from an unknown chef (4CTTumbleweed) that was featured in All Recipes. This is a great tasting soup with a delicious citrus counterpoint which accentuates the flavor of the artichoke.
While this is a relatively simple recipe, you need to make sure that the “stringiness” of the artichoke hearts does not distract from its taste. Cut the artichoke hearts vertically and horizontally several times to avoid strands in the finished soup.
Lemon Artichoke Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup celery minced
- 1/2 cup carrots minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups artichoke hearts chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon halved
- 3 cups half and half
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; cook until the onion and garlic are translucent. Stir in the chicken broth, artichoke hearts, salt, and pepper and simmer 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth; return the mixture to the saucepan. Squeeze one lemon half into the pan. Place the other lemon half into the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer another 10 minutes. Remove the lemon half from the pan and pour in the half and half; stir. Continue to simmer until thoroughly heated, about 10 minutes.