Sliced summer truffle carpaccio or scorzone slices preserved in oil.
- 75 grams of hand-sliced summer truffles preserved in sunflower oil
- Enjoy the authentic taste of truffles throughout the year with this gourmet mushroom delicacy
- Truffles are harvested in Tuscany, Italy and then sliced and bottled by experienced truffle experts to Gourmet Living’s specifications
- Serve this truffle carpaccio on toast or pair with chocolate, foie gras, cheese or pasta.
- Truffles make a wonderful gift for fellow gourmands with discerning tastes and palettes.
More About Truffles
Truffles are considering one of the great gourmet delicacies. Given their price and limited shelf life when fresh – about 7 days – most consumers know little about truffles. During the “season,” fine restaurants in Italy and France will often shave fresh truffles over pasta, eggs and risotto to experience the intense aroma of this prized fungus.
Black and white truffles from northern and central Italy are considered the most prized, but bianchetto and scorzone or “summer truffles” are also quite good and considerable less expensive.
White truffles are wild and resist cultivation, but there has been some success in cultivating black truffles. Bianchetti and scorzone are out-of-season truffles that lack the aroma intensity of white and black truffles harvested in season.
The white truffle season in Italy runs from late September to mid-December, while black truffles may often be found from mid-November to March. The less intense bianchetti can be found beginning in mid-January to the end of March and the “summer truffle” or scorzone is harvested from April through August.
For more information on truffles, please consult Gourmet Living’s Truffles FAQ.
Why Preserved Truffles?
Given its short shelf life and cost, preserved truffles provide consumer the opportunity to enjoy the distinct aroma of truffles the year round.
Gourmet Living preserves Italian summer truffles or scorzone in a neutral tasting oil (sunflower oil) or in a dehydrated form that is dispensed gently with a custom truffle mill.