There are few things more colorful than red cabbage during the winter. It never fails to bring a smile to my face, especially when paired with a pork chop or sausage. Add sweet potato and you are in heaven.
This delightful recipe from Nigella Lawson is a real crowd-pleaser. The cranberries and brown sugar add a slightly sugary taste. While the recipe calls for two tablespoons of brown sugar, I recommend one. This cabbage can be prepared well beforehand and even tastes better when reheated.
Red Cabbage and Cranberries
- 1 red cabbage (900 grams) sliced
- 1 large red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar The recipe calls for 2, but too much sugar!
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 150 grams dried cranberries
- 250 grams fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 750 milliliters apple juice from a carton