The Waitrose Food Magazine (English) is a great source for inspired recipes. Over Mother’s Day we served a wonderful recipe from the Waitrose Magazine entitled “Carrot, courgette and Halloumi salad with ginger and sesame.”
This recipe is full of color, healthy vegetables and the delectable taste of Halloumi cheese.
There are quite a few variations of Halloumi and we had hoped to slice it in 1/4″ strips and grill quickly on the BBQ. Sadly, it was quite fresh and crumbled a bit and we decided to opt for a hot skillet. In any event, you want to grill the Halloumi cheese at the last moment since it is best served warm on the salad.
Carrot, Courgette and Halloumi Salad with Ginger and Sesame
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger I added a bit more
- 1 courgette zucchini
- 4 large carrots about 450 grams, peeled
- 50 grams cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 250 grams Halloumi cut into thin slices
- Whisk the oils, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and ginger together in a large bowl. Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline, peel ribbons of the courgette and carrot into the bowl, finely slice the cores. Toss in the dressing, then set aside to marinate while you prepare everything else.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Toast the cashew nuts for 3-4 minutes, until golden, set aside. Next toast the sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes, stirring often until golden, set aside with the nuts. Fry the Halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Lift the vegetables from the dressing and place on a platter or plates. Top with the Halloumi and scatter over the nuts and seeds. Serve immediately while the cheese is still warm, spooning over a little extra dressing, if liked.
Color, veggies and great flavor. This salad recipe is tough to beat.
Explore some more great recipes on Gourmet Living – even some for those with a sweet tooth or an urge to travel: