Meal “bowls” have become quite popular at emerging health food chains. In effect, you pick your legumes, vegetables and protein and then choose from a number of dressing options.
I prefer to make my own bowls at home and recently discovered a wonderful recipe from Pinch of Yum featuring “turmeric sweet potatoes.” Pinch of Yum creator, Lindsay, has some wonderful and healthy cooking ideas that she generously shares regularly on her blog.
Taking inspiration from this recipe, I recently prepared a variation of this recipe f0r my husband. He prefers scrambled eggs to poached eggs and I did add some fresh greens and mushroom. In fact, you can experiment with whatever fresh or refrigerated veggie you have in your kitchen.
Hidden deep in the plant’s bright yellow roots is an extraordinarily powerful compound called curcumin that has the unique ability to block an enzyme that causes inflammation, while combatting free radical damage to highly sensitive vital organs like your brain and heart.
Sometimes it is difficult to separate fact from hype, but why not add a little bit of turmeric to your cooking. It adds a wonderful taste to sweet potatoes.
Healing Bowls with Turmeric Sweet Potatoes, Eggs and Lemon Dressing
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- a swish of olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
lemon herb dressing:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more to taste
- poached or scrambled eggs
- brown rice or quinoa
- arugula or spinach or greensss
- pistachios or other nuts for topping
- TURMERIC MASHED SWEET POTATOES: Heat the sweet potatoes with olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the turmeric and toss to coat. Add the garlic and vegetable broth. Simmer until the potatoes are soft and the liquid is almost all absorbed. Transfer to a small bowl and mash. Season with salt and pepper and/or a touch of cream if you want to be lush about it.
- DRESSING: Pulse all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Season to taste.
- BOWLS: Toss the greens with a little dressing. You can also stir a little dressing into the sweet potatoes – that’s yummy. Serve each bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes, brown rice, greens, and a scrambled or poached or fried egg. Top with more dressing and a handful of pistachios.