Sliced Truffles with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Ham
A delightful recipe from the October (2019) issue of Food & Wine. Soft scrambled eggs featuring sliced truffles. The recipe suggests 2 servings, but 4 is more realistic
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time18 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 2 Tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon sliced truffles
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 6 slices jambon de Paris (or other mild ham) sliced
- 2 slices brioche sliced
Making the Soft Scramble Eggs
Whisk eggs in a medium saucepan until thoroughly blended. Whisk in broth. Place saucepan over low heat; cook, whisking gently and constantly and scraping bottom of pan so as not to incorporate any air (you should not see any bubbles on sides of pan), until eggs begin to thicken, form fine curds, and have the texture of loose polenta, 5 to 6 minutes.
Quickly whisk in crème fraîche and salt until blended. Immediately remove from heat, and, using a large spoon or rubber spatula, stir in butter until melted. Stir in truffles, if using; chives; and salt to taste.
- More cooking time may be required to set the eggs,
- If using preserved truffles in oil, pat dry before adding to the eggs,
- More salt is probably called for.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 320mg | Sodium: 933mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 751IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg