LuLu's West Indies Salad
LuLu's West Indies SaladIngredients (Serves 4-6 as an appetizer)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings as an appetizer
- 1 lb fresh jumbo lump blue crabmeat regular lump crab OK, but watch for shell bits
- Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 medium Vidalia or sweet onion, sliced paper thin, in half moon shapes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup ice water with 4-5 ice cubes
Place half the crabmeat gently in th bottom of a glass bowl or plastic container, carefully picking out any shell. Sprinkle with just a smidgen of salt and pepper.
Cover crab with a layer of onion.
Repeat steps with remaining crab, salt, pepper and onion.
Pour oil and vinegar over layers.
Place ice cubes in a liquid measuring cup. Fill with water until volume reaches 1/3 cup and pour over crab. (Ice cubes are essential but don't pour the cubes into the mixture)
Cover and marinate for at least 2 hours before serving.
When ready to serve, shake bowl gently, or if using a leak-proof plastic container, turn upside down and back upright to gently mix salad.
Serve in a shallow bowl with juice.