Cranberry Bean and Tuna Salad
A superb salad featuring cranberry beans. To save time I use preserved tuna in olive oil.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 red onions thickly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- pinch sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 100 grams tender-stem broccoli trimmed
- 400 grams cranberry beans borlotti beans if necessary, drained and rinsed if canned
- 1 celery heart thinly slice
- large handful of fresh pitted black olives
- chopped leaf parsley to garnish
- 200 grams tuna steak small bottle preserved in oil
Preheat the oven to 190º C (375º F). Spread onion in one layer on a baking tray, season and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of the juice of 1/2 lemon, the sugar and 1/2 the vinegar. Roast for 20 minutes until just tender and crisp at the edges.
Cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling salted water for 2 minutes; drain, rinse under cold water until cool and set aside.
Put the cranberry or borlotti beans in a large bowl and toss through the celery, olives, parsley, broccoli, roasted onions with all their juices and the remaining vinegar and olive oil. Divide between plates, top with the tuna and squeeze over the remaining half lemon before serving.