Greek Slaw with Feta Cheese and Olives
A delightful recipe from Milk Street featuring cabbage slaw, carrots, celery stalks topped with crumbled feta cheese and olives. Allegedly inspired by Greek cooking, it is called Politiki Salata.
Prep Time15 mins
Resting Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/2 medium head greed cabbage thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and coarsely shredded
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 medium garlic clove finely grated
- 3 medium celery stalks thinly slice on the diagonal
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and cut into rough matchsticks
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss gently, just until the vegetables begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until the cabbage softens slightly. Alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, garlic, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 3/4 teaspoons of salt.
Add the celery and bell pepper to the cabbage mixture. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Using tongs, transfer the salad to a serving bowl, leaving behind any accumulated liquid. Top with the feta and olives.